How to Use the iPad’s Sidecar as a Second Display to Boost Productivity
By Azrul Abas April 21, 2022
Being more productive at work can be done in a lot of ways, and one of the ways would be to use the right hardware. For instance, mechanical keyboards can be used to improve your typing experience because of its feedback and satisfying clicky keys. Another example is by having a second display, where it increases your screen real-estate so you can have more content to be displayed. However, getting another display can take up a lot of space, but don’t fret, as you can actually use your iPad as a second display with the Sidecar function.
Second display for Mac
Using the Sidecar feature, you can turn your iPad into a second screen for your MacBook so that you will have a bigger area to work on. This helps to:
- Run and work on multiple apps simultaneously. As a designer, you wouldn’t have to juggling back and forth between photoshop and illustrator ever again.
- Increase your productivity. There is a study by the Jon Peddie Research that proves a second display would increase productivity by 42%
- Improve the gaming experience. You can now live streaming Valorant on one display, while looking at twitch chat on the other side?
Share data between two applications seamlessly
Now, knowing all the benefits for using dual screens, you might now ask how do you use the sidecar function on your iPad? Don’t worry, we got you!
How to use the Sidecar function?
Before jumping right into it, there are a couple of things you should know before using Sidecar. Firstly, make sure your iPad and MacBook meets the Sidecar requirements by using the same Apple ID. You can also use your Sidecar wirelessly, but to keep your iPad charged during use, connect it directly to your MacBook.
- Turn on your bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Handoff feature on both devices
- Open the control center on your Mac
- Click on Display
Choose your iPad in the list of iPad available for the Sidecar
From the system preferences > Sidecar, you can configure where you want the sidebar to appear on your iPad for easier navigation, show or hide the Touch Bar, or whether you want to use the Apple Pencil. And if you want to change the screen location whether it is below, beside, or above your Mac you can change it on System Preferences > Display, for easier mouse or trackpad handling.
What is so good about the Sidecar and how it can improve productivity
- Easily move a window to the iPad screen
- Sidebar on Sidecar
Sidebar functions on Sidecar (Source: Apple.com)
- Using Apple Pencil
Nevertheless, if you still have a functioning iPad that is not performing as well, do consider replacing the battery first instead of buying a newer model. Mend.sg offers not only MacBook and iPhone repair but also available for iPad battery replacement in Singapore.